How Medicare Supplement Plans work in a same-sex marriage

Are you married in same-sex and are going to be 65, then you must know about the Medicare Supplement Plans in 2019 eligibility. As the Supreme Court announced the marriage of same-sex as legal, the Medicare offers the same rights as other married couples. After the Supreme Court announcement, the same-sex spouses are at liberty to enjoy the federal benefits in the state they live that has recognized their marriage.

The 2015 court ruling has given legal footing for the same-sex couples to claim footing in the United States. Precisely, if you are in this marriage, under Medicare Supplement Plans, you can go through this quick primer.


At age 65 or more, you get benefits of Part A Medicare and this covers the hospital stay. There is no need to pay premiums monthly, in case you have the credits earned for 40- work by paying on your earning the payroll taxes. The 40 accounts to around working for 10 years, and in case you did not earn the 40 credits, there is Part A premium-free to qualify based on your spouse’s work record, if she or he attained the essential credits and is also age or over 62.

In case neither of the couple has earned the required 40 credits, yet you can acquire the benefits of Part A, but you have to pay monthly premiums. There is no need for Part B work credits to qualify that includes services of doctors, medical equipment and outpatient care or Part D coverage for Prescription Drug.  There is a need to pay the premiums like others, but you must be a legal permanent resident with a green card or you are a citizen of the United States who has lived for a period of at least 5 years in the U.S.

In fact, if you have a green card, the residency of five-year is waived. At the same time having a green card and staying married to a citizen of the U.S for a period of one year at least or is married to a legal resident who has 40 work credits and is age 62 at least. Under the rules of Medicare Supplement Plans, you can delay enrolling for Part B after 65 and also not pay premiums if you are under a group health plan coverage that is provided by your employer or your spouse is working actively and the employer has 20 and more employees. You can get enrolled, when employed ends during the SEP for Part B without late penalties.